Spellmon claims pole position for Sunday’s DIRTcar Sportsman Modified Series Championship 30
SYRACUSE, N.Y. – October 10, 2014 – Friday’s qualifying rounds for the DIRTcar Sportsman Modified Series during Camping World Friday Night Lights spelled success for a number of drivers who have earned top starting positions for Sunday’s championship race.
Jimmy Spellmon, a regular racer at Orange County Fair Speedway in Middletown, N.Y., will share the front row of Sunday’s headliner with Mike Butler of Milford, N.J., after the two placed first and second in time trials. Spellmon, of Butler, N.J., turned a lap of 32.819 seconds and Butler’s fastest lap was 32.957 seconds.
Other drivers locking into Sunday’s finale were Michael Sabia of Easton, Conn. (33.031), Brian Krummel of Middletown, N.Y. (33.044), James Henry of Niagara Falls, N.Y. (33.109) and Shane Pecore of St-Andrews, Ont. (33.158).
Friday night’s Dirt Track Digest Triple 10s will set positions seven through 18 in Sunday’s race. Krummel stayed fast in his heat, winning the first heat of the night after polesitter Spellman voluntarily started tail. Corey Wheeler closed in on Krummel midrace, but fell back into place before Dave Marcuccilli passed him for second in lap 8.
“I laid down ten good laps, no mistakes, so I’m pretty happy,” said Krummel, who also came out first in the afternoon’s DIRTcar Sportsman Modified Futures race for “Moody Mile” rookies. “It’s awesome. I worked really to get here.”
Butler, who had already locked in the outside pole in time trials, lead all ten laps in his heat to pick up the win.
“We just started up front, and ran away with it,” said Butler, also a newbie to the Syracuse mile. “For the first time being here, to be as competitive as we are, it’s just amazing. I have no words for it. It’s unexpected.”
Sabia picked up the win in the third heat race, leading flag-to-flag with Mike Maresca, of Potsdam, N.Y., picking up second. However, Sabia came in light at the scales and was penalized any winnings associated with the heat race.
NAPA Auto Parts Super DIRT Week XLII continues Saturday, Oct. 10, featuring the USAC Silver Crown “Salt City 78” at 1:30 p.m. followed by the “Salute to the Troops 150” for the 358-Modifieds. The DIRTcar Sportsman Modifieds return to the track Sunday morning for their championship race before turning the track over to the DIRTcar Pro Stocks and the premier Syracuse 200 for the Super DIRTcar Series Big-Block Modifieds takes the green flag at 2 p.m.
“Racing’s Biggest Party” runs through Sunday, Oct. 12. For more information and the latest updates on NAPA Super DIRT Week, click www.SuperDIRTWeekOnline.com, follow on Twitter @SuperDIRTWeek, or find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SuperDIRTWeek.
DIRTcar Sportsman Modified Series
NAPA Auto Parts Super DIRT Week
New York State Fairgrounds
October 10, 2014
Dirt Track Digest Triple 10s
1. 44K Brian Krummel / Middletown, N.Y.
2. m1 Dave Marcuccilli / Cayuga, N.Y.
3. 47s Corey Wheeler / Cornwall, Ontario
4. 17g Matt Janiak / Pine Island, N.Y.
5. 27 Jeremy Pitts / Scaghtocoke, N.Y.
6. 30 Brad Rouse / St. Catharines, Ontario
7. 27b Robert Bublak, Jr. / Ballston Spa, N.Y.
8. 1h Steve Hicks / Fountainville, Pa.
9. 1R Ricky Thompson / Akwesasne, Quebec
10. 43 Martin Hebert / Roxton Pond, Quebec
11. 67g Eric Giguere / Phelps, N.Y.
12. 271 Tiger Chapman / Cape Vincent, N.Y.
13. 22J Chris Daugherty
14. 96 Rob Maxon / Pownal, Vt.
15. 11k Dillon Sallows / Kingston, Ontario
16. 12 Jon Miller / Malta, N.Y.
17. 28s Jimmy Spellmon / Butler, N.J.
18. 21d Robert Delormier / Akwesasne, Ontario
1. 4 Mike Butler / Milford, N.J.
2. 7 Cody McPherson / St. Catharines, Ontario
3. 32R Ron Davis III / Memphis, N.Y.
4. 92p Martin Pelletier / Sorel-Tracey, Quebec
5. 18J Louie Jackson, Jr. / Akwesasne, N.Y.
6. 53 Whitey Slavin / Wynantskill, N.Y.
7. 1F A.J. Lloyd / Canandaigua, N.Y.
8. 28 Gary Lindberg / Ridgeway, Ontario
9. 28m Tyler Meeks / Evans Mills, N.Y.
10. 35w Jeff Watson / Sheffield, Mass.
11. e77 Ryan Stabler / Cornwall, Ontario
12. 52 Jessica Power / Kingston, Ontario
13. 17J Jamie Platt / Watertown, N.Y.
14. 85h Robert Humphreys / Elbridge, N.Y.
15. 21c Dale Caswell / West Monroe, N.Y.
16. 44w Kevin Ward / Hyde Park, N.Y.
17. 10w Winter Mead / Middletown, N.Y.
18. 21 James Henry / Niagara Falls, N.Y.
1. Michael Sabia / Easton, Conn.
2. 7m Mike Maresca / Potsdam, N.Y.
3. 1M Mathieu Desjardins / Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
4. 79 Rocky Warner / Gloversville, N.Y.
5. 76 Dave Constantino / Fultonville, N.Y.
6. 92 Joey Ladouceur / Alexandria, Ontario
7. T82 Taylor Lamb / Clay, N.Y.
8. 92c Billy Coleman / Ransomville, N.Y.
9. 234 Adam McAulliffe / Gloversville, N.Y.
10. 44 Dave Conant, Jr. / Lockport, N.Y.
11. 10 Brett Martin / Newfane, N.Y.
12. 1 Bob Reis / Elma, N.Y.
13. 25g Nick Guererri / Senaca Falls, N.Y.
14. 17 Tristan Draper / Harrowsmith, Ontario
15. 2T Chris Thurston / Lafargeville, N.Y.
16. 80e Doug Buzzell, Jr. / Renfrew, Ontario
17. 23s Mike Stacey / Kahnawake, Quebec
|14||32R||Ron Davis III||33.506|
|16||27b||Robert Bublak Jr||33.574|
|23||18J||Louie Jackson Jr.||33.701|
|33||44||Dave Conant Jr.||34.145|
|54||80e||Doug Buzzell Jr.||36.757|
The Super DIRTcar Series and DIRTcar Racing in the Northeast Region is brought to fans by several sponsors and partners including Hoosier Racing Tire, VP Racing Fuels, Chevy Performance Parts, NAPA Auto Parts, and Safety-Kleen. Contingency partners include the University of Northwestern Ohio, ASI, Bicknell Racing Products, Bilstein Shocks, Brodix, ButlerBuilt, Cometic Gasket, Comp Cams, Edelbrock, Integra Shocks, Intercomp, JE Pistons, JRI Shocks, KSE Racing Products, Mobil 1, Motorsports Safety Systems, MSD LLC, Fox Shocks, Pole Position Raceway, Racing Electronics, Superflow and Wrisco Industries.